Pippa Falls To Avian Botulism

Pippa, a 4 year old female, died of avian botulism toxin a few days ago.  She was a sibling of Susie, and lost out to Susie for the affection of Sully.  She had been solo for almost a year.

 

I found Pippa in the water about an hour before dark, thrashing strangely, continuously dipping her head deeply in the water.  When she came close to the shoreline, I was able to grab her neck, pull her from the water, and secure her wings and feet before carrying her back to my garage.  She was becoming weaker by the minute, and began gasping.  Flushing her system through a tube was not helping, and she passed before midnight.


Avian botulism occurs naturally in the environment, and can reside in submerged decaying matter, a food source for swans.  This same thing happened to Gracie in 2007, also in the month of April.  Once established in a swan's system, there is little hope for survival, so the ability to prevent or remedy this type of situation in the future is unlikely.

9 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

2013 Cygnets All Successfully Placed

In an amazing testimony to their parenting skills, all six cygnets of Stan and Wendy became viable juveniles and were placed in pairs for what hopes to be a long and happy life. Clare and Greta, femal

The 2014 Cygnets Have Arrived

Stan and Wendy performed their annual hatching, getting six babies in the water on Day 2, or May 4.  For some reason, by Day 4 the flock was down to five.  This is not unusual, with the likely cause b

Alan Passes Peacefully, Beverly Survives

Alan and Beverly were the oldest pair from the nests of George and Gracie.  Alan was found still in the water on June 29 with no signs of injury.  He was approximately 18 years of age, the average lif

  • Twitter - White Circle
  • Instagram - White Circle
  • Gracie Swan Foundation

© 2018 by Gracie Swan Foundation. Proudly created by Fluid Graphic Design, LLC